Barnes Close &
The Community For Reconciliation

1903 Edward & George Cadbury brought Chadwich Manor Estate from Christchurch Oxford
1925 Part of the Estate given to National Trust
1931 Plans drawn up for building of Barnes Close as a country residence for Mr & Mrs Henry T Cadbury
1937 Barnes Close first on map
late 1939 Mr & Mrs Henry T Cadbury moved back to Selly Oak
July 1940 Mr & Mrs Henry T Cadbury allow the Salvation Army to evacuate the ‘Millfield Home For Little Girls’ from Prittlewell, Southend to Barnes Close.
26th September 1945 ‘Millfield Home For Little Girls’ returns from Barnes Close to Prittlewell, Southend
1946 Birmingham Sunday School Union acquire Barnes Close
1950 Extension over former courtyard and outhouse to provide additional bedrooms for staff
1964 Extension to Common Room and Games Room
1973 Plans drawn up for 6 extra bedrooms (West Wing)
1984 The Community for Reconciliation (CfR) set up as a network community by John and Joan Johansen-Berg during their ministry in West London.
1986 CfR moved to Barnes Close as a small residential community moved to Barnes Close to be a resource group for training and action of the wider Community, which is a network spread through the United Kingdom and overseas, with John & Joan Johansen-Berg as leaders
1989 Formal transfer of Barnes Close from BSSU to CfR
1990’s Conversion of dormitories into single and twin rooms, provision of en-suite facilities for eight bedrooms – Addition of conservatory, known as ‘The Dennis Webb Room’
1997 Footprints joins the CfR work
2001 John & Joan Johansen-Berg retire and Ian Ring is appointed as Community – Co-Ordinator. John appointed as International Director until the end of 2004
2012 A new project is established to support Afghan Mother & Child Rescue in educating girls in Afghanistan